A POEM ON ADDICTIONS

ADDICTIONS











A FIRST PERSON NARRATION WRITTEN BY SIR EZELE (GG)
A great man once said “You cannot kill an addiction, but you can replace the addiction with another addiction”.

Pondering upon the words above, and looking down the road I have come, it dawned on me that the addiction I developed and thought of as my first was in reality not my first. I have come to discover that it was a replacement to an addiction I never knew existed. Nobody knows it exists, but it is there, it stares you in the face and you cannot see it, you are so addicted to it, that it has become a lifestyle. WHO IS THIS FOE AS FRIEND?

I was addicted to “NOTHING”. It sounds awkward right. Yes, addiction to nothing, doing nothing at all. 24 hours in a day meant 24 hours of doing nothing, nothing, and nothing.
I would wake up in the morning, go for prayers and that was a day. Because after prayers, I would go back to bed and sleep, wake up, take breakfast and turn on the t.v and watch until I felt it necessary to eat again, message and chat all through the day and dash back to the kitchen at intervals and pick some snacks, sleep and wake up. And this lifestyle continued for days and months.
“AN ADDICTION DOESN’T GROW FROM NOTHING, IT IS A REPLACEMENT OF SOMETHING”

I will want to call my Addiction SHEILA
No, I am not meeting up with her today, but over and over again its Sheila. I try so hard to stay away from her, but every bone, every nerve, it seems my whole body wants Sheila; my whole self is bent on betraying me.
Why can’t I stop myself from seeing Sheila? Over and over I ask myself. The question hangs out over me I think of her every time, it seems like I cannot go on without her, STOP STOP STOP doing this to me Sheila………NO…… its I doing this to myself. No, today I am not seeing Sheila, I am not meeting up with her, it’s a battle of the mind, the war is between I and Sheila, but the next minute, there is a ceasefire, I am again in her arms for solace. She draws me to her side, and I have no control. She calls me every time, anytime, and she is like a master calling out her slave, oh wait!!!!! I am her SLAVE, OH NO!!!!!!
“FIGHTING AN ADDICTION IS A BATTLE OF THE MIND, AND WITHOUT CARE, IT ALWAYS WINS”


Ella is the rescuer- The new Addiction
But just as I get ready to meet up with Sheila, I am downtrodden, but I can’t stop myself, my whole heart cries out because I have had enough of Sheila, I want out. Something catches my attention; I look again and cannot take my eyes off it. I walk up and she says, hi, I am Ella. You recognize Ella, you own Ella, just as Sheila is a product of your imagination and previous addiction, Ella Is also. You remember having created Ella sometime back but lost interest. Ella has always been here, but you were blinded to her, you know Ella has a lot  more value and respect than Sheila can ever have, Ella is a nourishment to your soul, Ella does not destroy you, she builds you up, you can spend hours with Ella and come out with a lot, you come out of Ellas presence with a smile. WHO IS YOUR ELLA?
I found my Ella, Thank heavens, now I spend time with her and I am not afraid to show her off to anyone, she brings no guilt, she builds me up. There lies my addiction replacement in Ella.

”I FOUND MY ELLA, FIND YOURS”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

S.I.O REVIEW

CHRISTMAS IS COMING