CHRISTMAS IS COMING

IMAGE: ENEZE ADAVA

"I'm dreaming of a White Christmas, just like the one I used to know, blah blah blah blah blah blah... And may all your Christmases be white..."
I bet we all know that song..

CHRISTMAS IS COMING, and what do you want for Christmas?
You know there's like the dream to all move overseas and do something worthwhile, but yo, nothing beats coming back with all the swag to see your homeboys and homegirls, I mean nothing beats Christmas in Nigeria..
Where else will you see Chinedu Manchester, Bayo Malay or Daniel Finland celebrating Christmas together?
Or is it Abdul, God'sglory, and Ogunniyi all hanging out at the mall, different religions, one celebration..


What is Banga to an Oyinbo kid? What is fireworks to a Naija man?
A Nigerian child that did not throw banga, is that one a Nigerian Child?
Or rocket, 7 sounds, what are you telling me?
In fact, while the Pastor preaches on, we are all thinking about who’s got the largest stack of banga and firework.

The numerous Christmas hymns and carols that we all can sing from top to bottom without looking at the screen or hymn book..
But for no particular reason we can't seem to remember the lyrics to these same particular hymns for the rest parts of the year...
And for a country that seems to have an anthem for everything, noone has seemed to find that perfect naija anthem for Christmas...
Dammy Krane tried it, I remember there was an ALL STAR Christmas song too… But nothing beats “We wish you a Merry Christmas” all around the World.

Let’s take the time to doff our hats for the Nigerian parent.. For they have tried...
Being a parent in Nigeria should be a superpower, for whether you are Egbon Makanaki or Aunty Kemi, Mummy Eniola would make you wash those plates.

Its amazing that we get to eat rice every Sunday from the beginning of the year till the end of the year, or most part of the year... And MoiMoi on Saturday nights..
But Christmas rices are just different from every other rices. It’s more like rice seasoned with Christmas, and Christmas is the special sauce that makes the rice different from every other Sunday.

Christmas time is family time...
Another reason we all seemed to like Christmas was the fact that we all had to be gluttons, both young and old..
I mean I got to eat rice at Mummy Kemi's house, right after I had eaten Pepper soup and Yam at Ochuko's place and my mum won’t look at me with that "If you touch that food" eyes..
And I start to wonder "Is it that the jazz they warned me about doesn't work during Christmas".

This year, I tried to pinpoint my favorite thing about Christmas, I really couldn't place it.
But as a kid, my favorite Christmas activity had to be putting up decorations on the Christmas tree.
I basically started pestering my parents from November to have the tree brought out, until they gave into the pestering in first week of December, then I bring out the tree, set it up, decorate it and start lighting up the entire house with Christmas lights.
What changed? I guess as we grew older and more conscious of our environment and self, we let go of a lot of stuffs...
Christmas as a kid was awesome stuvv..

While I yet go and complete my piece on "Who Killed the Christmas Season"
I'll leave you with our favorite Christmas exercise

........Father Christmas.........
For there was no greater scam... You know!!!!

P.S: Dont let your kids see this post.

Comments

  1. There's this disco light(i dunno if that's the appropriate name sha). ...
    But cos we were girls we had to play with that light and run all around while it sparkles till it fades out ...

    Making Christmas hair too was fun oh, the pain but the glow....
    Now nobody would even look at my side(sighs)

    ReplyDelete
  2. True!! Eat rice all year and Christmas rice somehow somehow still tastes different... maybe harmattan is a kind of seasoning 😂😂
    This piece got me nostalgic btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 😊😊😊😊 how could I leave out the harmattan..

      Delete
  3. Knock out and "pursue pursue" drew me closer to my big brother. And the breeze that blows ehn is on another level especially on the 25th. Gosh! I love Christmas. Thanks Tobi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks OZ.. Pursue pursue😂😂😂 what's that na?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

S.I.O REVIEW